Wednesday, July 8, 2020

New Scripture Characters.



I need your opinion. I get requests all the time for more and different scripture characters.  I first started doing characters for Follow The Prophet.  You may be familiar with the sets I did.  The character or prophet is a little smaller and has a 4x6 inch background scene to go with them to represent their story.  More recently, I started doing "Book of Mormon Buddies" sets that just have the characters.  I'm a total people pleaser. I wanted to please all those people who were asking for more characters.  I thought I could get more characters out more quickly if I didn't try to do backgrounds with them, but the new sets don't seem to be as popular as the old ones.  I'm not sure if that's because the old ones have just been around longer or if they are really liked better.  As I move forward in trying to do more scripture characters would you all prefer the original set up with smaller characters and a small background, or do you want a little bit bigger characters and more of them?  Or does it even matter to you at all?  

Another question:  There's no way my drawing speed can keep up with the Come Follow Me Lessons.  There are a lot of characters that I have missed this year so far.  I'm trying to decide if I should try to keep drawing the characters in order and slowly fill in the characters I've missed, or if I should choose a spot a little ahead of where we are now and start going from there so you'll have some new characters for your lessons in a month or so.  Do you have any preference about that? Are there specific characters you think need to be done immediately?  

Thanks for any input you can give!  

8 comments:

Rosemary Chambers said...

I like the characters with a background because it gives a clue as to who the character is. The ones you did for Follow the Prophet were AMAZING and really helped the kids learn the song. It helps them remember the story that goes with the character. I wonder if the new characters aren't as popular just because we haven't had church for awhile? If a lot of people use them for Primary as I do?

Notjustanotherday said...

I like the characters without backgrounds, so I can use it over and over throughout the lessons. Thank you for all that you do, including sharing your wonderful talent with the rest of us.

Holly said...

I really like the character AND the background. Like Rosemary said, it helps you remember who that person is and with what story they are associated.

It doesn't matter to me what order you do them in since we are doing church at home. I can teach my kids in whatever order, and often just pick the lesson that seems most needed that week for their little "primary time." But, I bet you would get more sales if you could get characters in time for the scheduled lesson.

You don't necessarily need to draw a new person each time. It might be enough to have a small variety of scripture characters to use repeatedly with a specific background for each story. That sounds confusing... So I could use your little Jacob person and just call him King Benjamin if I have the tower background to use with him. In a few weeks I can call him Helaman and use the Helaman background to tell that story.

I certainly don't want to discourage you from drawing new people because I LOVE every new character you draw...but that might be a way to "catch up" or get things on time with the lesson schedule. Maybe you go back and add the character with the background later when you have time.

PS. King Benjamin is ADORABLE.

Amber Volle said...

Great suggestions so far! I agree that the backgrounds definitely help.
I think jumping ahead would be good though. Having home church has hindered things like this so give it time and don't stress.
The one story you've not illustrated and I absolutely am hoping for is The Brother of Jared and the Jaredites! I love those chapters.
Thanks for always sharing Susan!

Unknown said...

I love the background! And don't worry about getting every character. I would rather have a few but up to date rather than all of the characters. Thank you!

Anonymous said...

I love your backgrounds! Please include them!

Ric Clayton said...

I really want to thank Dr Emu for saving my marriage. My wife really treated me badly and left home for almost 3 month this got me sick and confused. Then I told my friend about how my wife has changed towards me. Then she told me to contact Dr Emu that he will help me bring back my wife and change her back to a good woman. I never believed in all this but I gave it a try. Dr Emu casted a spell of return of love on her, and my wife came back home for forgiveness and today we are happy again. If you are going through any relationship stress or you want back your Ex or Divorce husband you can contact his whatsapp +2347012841542 or email emutemple@gmail.com website: Https://emutemple.wordpress.com/ Https://web.facebook.com/Emu-Temple-104891335203341

vallarie said...

I like the backgrounds too!!! It adds more story!
An Old Testament story I would love a picture of is Elisha and the chariot of angels.

You do a WONDERFUL job! Thank you for sharing your talent with the world!